Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Myspace blog: Friday, June 17, 2005

Ahhh, yes....I am a Batman girl.  I'm not a comic book nerd, though I've dated more than my share (is anyone surprised? didn't think so)...I do know a thing or two about the Dark Knight. 

Though I loved the first Superman movie, and I have a special place in my heart for Wolverine (sigh), super-heroes with super-powers don't impress me much.  It seems as though there are two schools of thought in 'Graphicnovel-land"...those who dislike Batman because he is not a pure superhero, he's simply a man with 'gadgets', and those who love him for the same reasons...a real man with gadgets -- and the fact that he allows us to believe that someday we too could become a superhero (with millions of dollars, a doting man-servant and plenty of rock-climbing equipment, of course) and save our beloved Gotham from insidious forces.

I saw the first Batman movie about 10 times in the theater, and professed my undying love for Tim Burton and Michael Keaton at that time...it was perfect.  A comic book come to life on the big screen...years before Sin City took the genre to another level (Clive Owen...hello).  However, through the years, the franchise took an alarming turn...Alicia Silverstone as Batgirl?  "Cool pahty"?  Latex nipples on Chris O'Donnell?  Joel Schumacher -- shame on you!!!

Today I saw Batman Begins and once again, all is right with the world.  It is much darker and very different from the Batman of '89....it is much more Bruce Wayne oriented...and Christian Bale is the perfect man to take us there.  He is dark, brooding, troubled, charming, sexy and witty.  Yes, there are a few cheesy lines, but that's what Graphicnovelism is all about.  The money shot (Bat standing atop a building overlooking the city) is worth the price of admission alone. 

Of course my main motivation for seeing the movie was the fact that my boo-boo kitty, my number one, my very true love plays Sgt. Gordon, and, as expected, does not disappoint.  I will save my ramblings about Gary Oldman for another blog - don't worry.  The rest of the stellar cast also shines...Morgan Freeman is delicious, and Michael Caine is spectacular. 

Yes, it's a summer blockbuster, and yes...it's a 'popcorn movie'.  But it is a helluvalotta fun to watch, and I can't wait to see it agian.

Currently watching:
Angels in America
Release date: 14 September, 2004

No comments: