Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Daily DVD

Akira: One of the first DVDs in the collection that I had not seen yet. Not being a huge anime fanatic, I wasn't totally looking forward to it, but I was intrigued. It is a genre I need to get to know better. I've dabbled, however (the Cat Returns is off the chain) but it is a little daunting to start to immerse oneself in. I had a few preconceptions of the movie due to just looking at the cover - I was thinking pure action because of the slick bike and the red/blue tones, as well as the lone figure wearing biking gear. Could not have been more mistaken. Sure, there is action, but is overshadowed by the science fiction. This is sci-fi, and it is FUCKING WEIRD. Really, really, really strange. In fact, I'm not going to break it down for you, because you either know all about it, or you know nothing about it and will go watch it now because I have proclaimed it's weirdness. The most disappointing thing about it was finding out that it came out in 1988, and would've been an excellent addition to my litany of drug movies I watched during my high school/college years, had I only known about it. Sadly, these days are behind me, but the movies are a fun reminder of the days when I could explore the farthest corners of my brain. Sigh.

No comments: