Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Daily DVD

Airplane! ("Don't Call Me Shirley!" Edition): Voted one of AFI's funniest movies of all time (#10, I believe - though it should have been higher, IMHO), and probably one of THE most quoted movies of all time, this is a must-watch, must-buy, if-you've-never-seen-it-and-admit-it-in-public-you-will-surely-be-ridiculed-hey-don't-call-me-Shirley.

There isn't much to say about this Zucker/Abrahams collaboration that hasn't already been said, so I'll just share my favorite bits with you guys. The Red Zone/White Zone bit, the religious zealots bit (though the youngsters may not get the humor - airports used to be overrun with Moonies and Hare Krishnas, spreading love and literature to annoyed vacationers), and the 'drinking problem' bit. Oh..also, how the little prissy girl takes her coffee, the gratuitous boobs bouncing in front of the camera, the 'I speak Jive' genius cameo by Mrs. Cleaver....I could go on and on. Which, naturally, speaks to the genius of the movie. You should go re-watch it right now. :)

No comments: