Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Daily DVD



An Affair to Remember: It's true. I had never heard of the movie before watching Sleepless in Seattle, and it makes me very sad to have to report such news. However, I really didn't care for the Meg Ryan/Tom Hanks/Rita Wilson opus (because, let's face it, Rita is SOOOO smokin' hot that she commands every screen she's ever been on...ever), but the movie gave me two things...An Affair to Remember, and a molar cavity. Also - a hate for Meg Ryan/Tom Hanks/Rita Wilson. Even more depressing is the fact that I already was a huge fan of Cary Grant, but in my knowledge at the time, AATR wasn't one of his better-known works. I was more of a 'That Touch of Mink' kind of a gal, and I still prefer Mink just for the campiness of it, as well as Gig Young. But I digress. 'Affair' is a smart romantic comedy with a complete re-watchability, and a cute kid that gave me one of my favorite quotes of all time: "Well, whaddya crabbin' about?". Nothin', kid - it's pretty much perfect.

The Age of Innocence: One of my favorite movies of all time, period. Scorsese period piece? Check. Daniel Day Lewis not chewing scenery? Check. Tortured Love That Can Never Be? Check, check, check. I love it, and no one can ever tell me anything else about it to the contrary. Also, completely quotable, though nobody will ever know what I'm quoting. "Well, that explains it, then." "What?" "Why they are so influential...they make themselves so rare." Only 1% of the population will ever know that I'm talking about the van der Lydens. And I'm okay with that.

No comments: