Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Daily DVD

Akeelah and the Bee: Oh, Akeelah. Such a good movie, such a great cast, such an amazing premise. Why did I dread watching you again? Perhaps it wasn't dread so much as apathy - I've seen this movie many more times than the actual one viewing I had last year. You see, I've seen Stand and Deliver a few times already, as well as Bad News Bears, Educating Rita...blah blah blah. Local girl beats the odds and rises above her station in life by using that noggin she's been blessed with, just doesn't know how to use just yet. What saves it? An amazing cast and great acting. Fishburne and Bassett, even though Bassett's character was narrow and frustrating. It's a good movie, just really formulaic and predictable. Oh - did I mention that the community comes together to help her and root her on? Yeah - even the gang leader that is poaching her big brother for fun and profit. Seriously?

No comments: