Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Daily DVD

Aladdin: One of my favorite Disney movies! Yes, I like Disney movies. I like Walt Disney World, too. No, I don't care that Disney is an evil conglomeration that wants to take over the world. Nope, don't care that Walt was an alleged communist, fascist, racist and anti-Semite. I don't think he was any of those things, but more likely an opportunist who would do whatever he could to make some money, by whatever means necessary.

ANYWAY....I believe Aladdin was one of the best animated films to come out of the mouse's house in at least 10 years when I saw it in the theater back in 1992 (I was not a big fan of the Little Mermaid). I believe Mermaid jump-started the animation house into a new era, and Aladdin cemented Disney's return. Both were overshadowed by the Lion King, which to this day remains their crowning jewel of traditional animation (at least in my opinion). Aladdin works for me because the genie is iconic, the songs are catchy as hell, the animation is gorgeous, and Aladdin & Princess Jasmine are hot. That's all I need for a heck of a good time - and it holds up remarkably well - 17 years....waitaminute - it's been 17 FREAKING years? Damn, I'm old.

D:

No comments: