Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Daily DVD



All That Jazz is probably one that I enjoy more than my husband does, but he had to sit through due to the nature of this experiment. Please keep in mind that he was drunk when he watched it, so if you are keeping track of both of us and happen to read his blog about this film, his memory may be a little hazy at this point. We are very behind in our blog posts as well as criminally behind in DVD watching.

I read Fosse's biography after I took a jazz dance class and was re-introduced to Fosse through Chicago. This was in 1997 or 1998, and I saw the revival at least twice in the theatre, and the feature film (which I thought was well done) at least twice as well. I became a little fixated on his work for a bit, and saw Fosse twice, as well. I remember having watched All That Jazz on HBO in my youth (because Ann Reinking was in it, and I was crushing on her because of Annie), but I thought it was too adult and very depressing. When I got a chance to buy the dvd @ BB after cooling down from my obsession, I found it to be....well, adult and depressing. Watching it as an adult, however, and having his bio under my belt, I realized he directed it and I had much more insight into his psyche and motivation and vision. I enjoy this film - I love the dance numbers, his strained relationships with the women in his life, the razzle dazzle and the 'Chorus Line' 70's Broadway vibe about the whole thing. I really just love it, and if you don't care about Fosse or dance or musical theatre in the 1970's or 1980's, you probably won't care for it. I still get to like it, though.

No comments: