Thursday, April 22, 2010

Daily DVD



Aliens. What can I say? I prefer the original, but I understand those who like this one more. It was successful because JC didn't try to recapture the magic of the first. This is an action flick, and a fairly good one, at that. However, I don't feel it aged well. The triple-gotcha ending seems hackneyed and tired now, and though some may argue that this movie pioneered that trope, I would advise those folks to watch Friday the 13th again. Take it easy there, kids. I also have very little tolerance for the always-awful Bill Paxton (aside from Weird Science's Chet), and being able to immediately guess who was going to die first, second and third was aggravating. I like surprises, and this film had zero.

I will say now that James Cameron had me at Terminator, T2 and even True Lies, but we broke the fuck up after Titanic. I'll stop there and pick up the Cameron discussion a little later on.

1 comment:

Peter Chan said...

The good ol' James Cameron debate.

The thing with JC is that he is a pompous ass and the success of Titanic and now Avatar, while deserved, went to his head. I don't think we'll see another live action.. action flick from him ever again.

I think I was done with him after hearing him in a roundtable discussion with last year's Oscar nominated directors saying "Why would people make movies for film festivals? I want my movies to be seen by actual people." The reaction on Lee Daniels, QT, Jason Reitman & Kathryn Bigelow's faces were PRICELESS!