Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Daily DVD

Alien: This is an excellent movie. Lots of tension, just the right amount of gross-out, and a strong female protagonist (a.k.a. Action Girl). I really prefer nuanced tension and character development in my horror/sci-fi, and this joint delivers. It also helps that I had not watched it in many years, so when this baby was next on the list, it was like visiting an old friend. Since we have actually watched the next movie (Aliens), it is difficult for me to write this little recap without comparing the two, but I will try. I love the ride Scott takes us on - we aren't really sure what we're dealing with when the alien is introduced, and I love how all the characters are just focused on getting monetarily compensated for the extra journey to check out the distress signal (there is definitely a trope for that, but I can't seem to find it). Things quickly go south, and despite a few annoying mis-steps (you know they are dead - why are you wasting precious minutes going to check on them? Yeesh - Ripley, watch some more movies!), I really enjoy the pace and the fake-outs. I believe I am in the minority when I say that I prefer this original 'Alien' to it's sequel.

1 comment:

Peter Chan said...

i need to re-watch this. i need to remind myself how badass sigourney can be. lately, her fiercest role was the bitch exec on 'the tv set'. sigh.